Durston Kakwa 55 (2023 model) Backpack Review (with 2024 model info)

**Update below**


I really intended to use my Osprey backpack for the Ouachita Trail through hike I am planning. The Osprey is a decent bag that carries weight comfortably. It has some nice features, but it weighs more than I would ideally like, and the water bottle holsters were not easy to access. The outside pocket failure and the fact that I found a deal on the Durston Kakwa 55 sealed the deal for upgrading.

Image from Durston

There are two versions of the Kakwa backpack. They make a 40 liter and 55 liter capacity. This size designation refers to the internal capacity. It does not include the outside pockets. All the reviews I could find on YouTube, while I was considering which bag to get, were for the Kakwa 40. Evidently, this is because the 40 has been out longer. The 55 is relatively new. The 55 only weighs 1.9 oz more and I was able to get it for less than the Kakwa 40.

I will say I am very glad I opted for the larger bag. Apparently, as much as I try to trim things down, I am evidently carrying bulkier items or just not packing as well as other backpackers. There have been loads where I have been filled to the very top of the Kakwa 55. I can't imagine packing everything into a smaller bag. Kudos to those who can do it.

Durston offers three sizes for both models of their packs; small, medium, and large. I got the large. I'm a big guy. Details on sizing can be found on the Durston page under the Features and Specs page for both bags.

Let's talk about pros and cons with the Kakwa 55.

Pros

Light weight

This pack weighs just 30.1 oz. It's a drop of nearly a full pound from my Osprey pack. Mile after mile on the trail, that weight reduction can make a difference. There are lighter packs on the market, but I don't think you can find anything lighter with this capacity and with this quality.

Rugged

The main part of the pack is made of a material called Ultra 200. It feels very strong. I have taken this pack on two trips so far and it shows no sign of wear at all. Reviewers of the Kakwa 40 also report that they hold up to abuse. The feel of the material reminds me a little of canvass, but it's thinner and lighter.

Well designed

The design is simple and intended for functionality. The inside, like most lightweight backpacks in this stripped down category, is just an open bag. There are no internal additional storage components. There is no "brain" compartment that sits on top of the pack like my Osprey and many other traditional backpacks. The top rolls down and closes with a plastic buckle the way many dry bags close.

Top opening


Top of the pack closed

If you have a smaller load, you can roll the top down all the way till it hits the frame. If you have a large load, you roll it a couple of times. This helps to keep the pack stabilized. There are also compression cords that can be cinched down on either side of the pack and I "Y" strap that also goes over the top, not only to add load stability, but also to keep items stored on the outside. 


Frame and weight transfer
Traditional packs often have substantial internal frames that span the width of the pack near your back and run from top to bottom. This provides solid structure to the packs, but adds weight. Ultra light packs sometimes have no frame or just vertical metal rods or strips to give the pack vertical structure. The Durston packs have a crossbar that helps give horizontal stability to the pack. This also helps to transfer the weight of the pack off your shoulders and onto your hips more efficiently. This pack also has load lifter straps at the top of the shoulders which help bring the weight of the pack forward.

External pockets
There are hip belt pockets with quality zippers; one pocket on each side. They are the same size and design. They zip from the middle to the outside to open and the zippers can be opened and closed easily with one hand.

The side pockets are not identical. In the photo above, you can see the pocket on the right side of the pack. It has an elastic lip and slopes forward. This makes it very easy to access. I have stored my water bottle(s) in that pocket. The left side pocket (see photo below) does not drop in front. This makes it more accommodating for taller items or items that don't require frequent access without removing your pack.

Left side view

On my most recent trip, I put a 1 liter bottle in the left side pocket. It was not super convenient, but I was still able to access the water from that pocket when I needed it. In addition to that elastic lip main pocket, there is a subtle zipper pocket near the front of that same space. Here is a closeup shot showing that zipper compartment.



Reviewers of the Kakwa 40 frequently commented that they appreciated this pocket and used it to store things like a hat or other items. I agree. On a day hike when I was carrying this pack more to get the feel for it, I used that pocket to store a map. We were making a loop out of several shorter semi-linked trails, and we needed to consult the map at junctions. On an overnight trip, I used that compartment to hold my car key and reading glasses. It's out of the way, but a contained, small, and somewhat concealed space. This zipper also opens and closes relatively easily with one hand. It's a nice feature.

The main outside pocket is mesh with an elastic lip at the top. It holds a relatively good amount of items. Some packs have a stretchy mesh that allows for greater capacity. The drawback with material like that is that is less durable. This is rugged mesh. I can't imagine snagging or tearing it. It doesn't give though, with limits capacity.

Shoulder strap pouches and lashes
I like the shoulder straps. They have stretchy mesh pouches built in. They are commonly used for water bottles. They aren't huge, but I don't think you would want to hold large water bottles in them anyway. On my recent trip, I used a 20oz water bottle.


In the photo above, they have a water bottle on one side and bear spray on the other pouch. I will talk about one minor issue with the pouch in the cons section, but I like that they are included. You can also see some lash loops on the shoulder strap. My Osprey pack didn't have good lash loops. It is much easier for me to hang my Garmin GPS tracker device on these loops. The sternum strap is nothing special but it gets the job done.

Cons

Shoulder strap pouch

This is not a major issue, but I noticed that the mesh pouch on my shoulder strap tended to push the water bottle up as I hiked. The bottle never rose up and out of the pouch, but every so often, when I turned a certain way, I would notice that the cap on the bottle was knocking against my chin. I would push the bottle back down into the pouch again and it was fine. This mainly happened when my bottle was low on water. It's a minor nuisance.

...but I think I may have been doing it wrong.


I knew there was a cinching bungie strap at the top of the shoulder pocket, but I did not realize it could be looped around the top of a water bottle. The bottle shown here is a 20oz size bottle, and it stretches that cord close to it's limit. If the slippage bothers you, I suspect looping that bungie would prevent it.

I think I would like the pouch to be capable of carrying a 750ml bottle instead of just a 20oz. And I also wish the bungie had just a little more length on it so it didn't feel like I was stressing it to loop it over. For those reasons, I will leave the should strap pouch in the "Cons" section.

Hip belt comfort

I will start by saying, it's not terrible, but coming from experience wearing more traditional packs with more padding on the hip belt, this was slightly less comfortable for me to carry than the Osprey or the Greggory packs I own.

Taper to the bottom

This pack tapers toward the bottom. Maybe this is a common design feature of other packs, but it seems like other packs I have used do not taper quite as much. Because the pack is just a large deep bag, it is already a little challenging to get things in the bottom. Most people pack their sleeping bag or quilt in the bottom, which means it's a larger and more bulky item. If you do that, you probably want a pack liner to keep your gear dry. I had a Nylofume liner in the bottom and as I was pushing my quilt down into the narrow pack, air couldn't escape fast enough and my liner bag popped. I have adjusted the way I do that now (make sure air can escape as I push my quilt down into the bag), but I feel like the tapered shape makes this a bit more difficult than it would be.

It also compromises some of the storage capacity of the bag and makes the external side pockets further back behind you when you are trying to access them.

These are still minor complaints.

Aesthetics

It's a bit of a drab utilitarian bag. I prefer that over something that looks cool but doesn't function well, but it feels like Durston could offer at least one alternative color option....?


That's really all the cons I can think of.


My additions

There are loops on the outside. I put some bungie cord on the back and underneath for lashing items.
Lashing cord outside of the outside mesh pocket

Lashing cord on the bottom


Closed cell foam sit pad (made from old sleeping pad roll)

It's handy to have some lash points on the outside of the pack. These were easy to add using the loops that are built into the pack. Here is a closeup of one of the loops that I used.


I already had that bungie cord anyway, so I threw it on.


Summary

Overall, I really like this bag. Even at the regular price, this is a quality bag. Like I said at the beginning, I am very glad I got the Kakwa 55. Looking forward to many adventures.




**Update**


Durston has begun taking pre-orders for an updated 2024 Kakwa 55 pack. I'm not sure of all the changes, but from the images they have posted, it appears they have increased the size of the front pocket. Here is an image Dan Durston posted on social media with a side by side comparison to the previous pack.



From Dan "Here's a side by side look at the 2023 vs 2024 Kakwa 55 to more clearly show the changes to the front pocket. It's wider, taller, and more pleated (folded) so it holds a lot more stuff."

I didn't include the size of the front pocket in my cons, but I know other people did have an issue with the size of that pocket. I think this is a nice upgrade if you can get your hands on one.

Thanks,
Gavagai




Comments