Ouachita Thru Hike: Gear - The Big 3 Combined Shelter and Sleep Systems

So, the other 2 big items you need when backpacking that can make or break your trip and also have the largest weight of the gear items, are you shelter and sleep system.

I am lumping these together because there are a couple of options that sort of lump these categories together. Let's talk about those first; hammock systems, bivy tents, or cowboy camping.

Hammock Systems

Hammocks can be used to camp. This is actually becoming a popular choice among backpackers. It definitely has certain advantages, chief among those, in my opinion, is the fact that the ground conditions don't really matter. As long as you have two trees with an adequate space between them, you're good. Rocks don't matter. Slope doesn't matter. Water doesn't matter (as long as you can also get your pack and/or other gear off the ground too).

Another benefit that many people point to is that they get a good comfortable night of sleep hanging in their hammock.

Before I go further, I should note what makes up a hammock system and how it combines sleep system and shelter. Most people probably understand a hammock. For backpacking, it's not much different than what most people imagine, except that the material is usually a solid and very light weight material that gets hung by straps between two trees (or posts of some kind, if that is available. Hammock campers also typically hang a large tarp over their hammock. Other common pieces of gear in the hammock camper's collection are top and bottom quilts, and a bug net to keep the bugs out. Some hammock users have special clips that hang above them that hold a phone or other gear from the cable that supports their tarp and/or pockets that hang off the sides of the hammock to hold gear, and often a mat to step on when they step out of their hammock or to hold their shoes and pack off the bare ground.


There are certain drawbacks though. If you do not have trees from which to hand your hammock, you can't hang it. There is also a learning curve regarding finding the right distance between trees even when you have a lot of options. If they are too close, it doesn't work well. If they are too far apart, it also doesn't work well. You have to get good at identifying the Goldie Locks spacing. As you may have guessed reading the list of pieces in a hammock system, there are a lot of pieces. You don't necessarily need them all, but at minimum, you need straps, hammock, and top and bottom quilts to keep warm and out of the weather. A bug net is a must if you are camping anytime there are a lot of bugs (at least for me).

I already had sleeping pads and sleeping bags. I have never had any experience with setting up a hammock system and I don't know anyone who has experience with them to teach me. I was also concerned about the prices of buying all the equipment because it's all sold as separate pieces; hammock, straps, top quilt, bottom quilt, netting, tarp... it's a lot to piece together. All those pieces can also be somewhat bulky. Hammock systems are also primarily one person systems.

I'm intrigued by hammock camping, but it's not something I'm willing to invest in at this time. I have ruled hammock systems out.


Bivy tents and Cowboy camping

Well, cowboy camping is easier, so let's start there. You're sleeping under the stars. You can bring a sleeping pad or sleeping bag. Some people add a tarp. If you are in fair weather and don't have to deal with bugs, I guess that would work. It's cheap and light weight. I can't imagine trying it in almost any season in Arkansas. I want more protection from the elements than that.

A bivy-tent is basically the sleeping pad and bag with a hoop and waterproof sheet over it. It's basically the smallest possible one person tent you could have. They are light weight and pack small, but you have no room to sit up or move in them at all. If it's raining, you
are basically confined to lie down. If you need to get up, you're going to have to exit your shelter. Pass.

For me, having the ability to sit up to change clothes, read, or just relax, to have the space to organize my gear, and generally not feel confined is important.


There are obviously people who like these systems. That's great, but they aren't for me. I want the flexibility to bring a second person with me, I want more protection from the wind and rain, and I want space inside my shelter to organize my gear and even to relax when I'm finished for the day and when I am getting ready to go the next day. I will carry a tent, a sleeping pad, and a quilt, but more about those options in another post.

Cheers,
Gavagai

Comments