Ouachita Trail Thru Hike: Gear - An Ode to Trekking Poles

I really like hiking with trekking poles. Trekking poles are part of my tent setup. If you haven't read my article on the shelter I have chosen for my thru hike, here is a link to that article. But instead of hauling tent poles, my tent utilizes the trekking poles I would be bringing along with me anyway.

Why do I like trekking poles so much?


Zen

There is a certain zen quality to the rhythm and stride when I am hiking with trekking poles. I alternate my step and pole stride in a way that is similar to cross country skiing.

The motion is far more exaggerated here, but the alternating leg/arm motion is similar.

When my right leg steps in front of me, my left arm is forward, sinking my pole into the ground. When my left leg stretches out in front, my right arm is swinging forward. When I am on semi-level trail, my poles are pitched forward and the tips dig into the ground just behind me, which propels me slightly forward along with my leg movement.

There is something natural and satisfying to this motion that just feels right to me.

Balance

When you are carrying 25lbs or more on your back, your balance isn't what it normally is. If you stumble, slip, or lose your balance for any reason while you are hiking, having a pole in your hand allows you to catch yourself quickly. It's like having a handrail everywhere you go.

Not only do poles help you catch your balance when your balance or footing is compromised, but I would say you are less likely to experience moments where you have balance issues because you are generally more stable with 3-4 points of contact with the ground than you are with 1-2 points of contact with the ground.

Falling anytime can be dangerous. Falling in the backcountry and possibly sustaining an injury that means you may not be able to walk out on your own can be serious or even life threatening. Anytime you fall with a heavy backpack on can increase the severity of a fall because you are adding mass behind the impact and multiplying the forces involved.

Water crossings

Rivers and creek crossings can be difficult. When you can cross without getting your feet wet, that is often preferable. Hopping from rock to rock is easier when you have poles to help you get from one to the next and to stop yourself when you get there.

It isn't always possible to dry cross. Here is a photo of the Crystal Prong river I had to cross on my recent trip.


There was no feasible way to cross this river dry. It was fast moving, more than 25 feet wide, and over my knees. The river bed was a slick slate type rock that was sloped. Having poles to help steady myself was extremely helpful.


The video above shows another hiker crossing the same creek under similar circumstances.


Easier on your knees and back

Your knees and back can take a beating with long miles, climbing and descending mountains. Having trekking poles helps to reduce the load on your knees and back. I have arthritis in both knees. Descending, especially down steep grades, is especially hard for me. Anytime I am on a downhill slope, my pole tips are striking out in front of my body with each step to help reduce the impact of the step and to help slow me down.

When I am climbing up a steep incline, I often use my poles to help pull me up. After my recent long hike, my triceps were a little sore from the work my arms were doing to assist my legs. This added stress to my arms helps to relieve stress on my legs (and back too, but for me, my knees are the weakest link).

To be totally honest, if I am concerned about one thing regarding my ability to make it through from end to end on the Ouachita Trail, it's my knees. I will do what it takes to help preserve them.

Double as tent poles

The Durston tent I will be using is not the only tent that utilizes trekking poles as tent poles, but if you are using trekking poles for one or more of the previously stated reasons, then finding a tent that allows you to repurpose your trekking poles as part of your tent when you are not using them at camp reduces the weight you would be carrying with actual tent poles.

Ward off threats

I am not a fan of firearms, but there are times when wildlife can pose some degree of danger. Having a pole in hand might allow me to safely remove a snake in my camp. I might be able to scare off or defend myself against a black bear. And if (against all odds) a person was actually threatening me in the backcountry, having a pair of poles is probably better than nothing.

Move briars and branches

Parts of trails often become overgrown. Sometimes tree limbs and branches or whole trees block some of the trail. Having a trekking pole or two can help hold back thorny vines and branches. This is a use I had forgotten because most of my recent hiking was before the spring growth along the trails, but just this weekend I was on a day hike and I made frequent use of my poles in this way. Briars, branches, and thorn bushes can do real damage to your skin and clothing too. Pushing those thorny vines and bushes to the side to allow me or my hiking partner to pass by is much nicer than feeling them snag and tear at my clothes or skin.


Which poles do I use?

For years, I used a pair of MSR carbon fiber twist lock poles, called MSR Overland Carbon. They were dependable and light weight, but they are three section poles and don't pack very small. Four section poles pack down a bit smaller. I also like flick-lock style poles. They are easier to adjust on the go. I was able to find a pair of Leki poles on clearance a few months back and I really like them.

Leki Khumbu FX TA Trekking Poles

The lower 3 sections fold up. The top section adjusts with a flick-lock system.




There are other similar poles out there. These were a decent price, light weight, and they had the features I was looking for. They came with a nice stuff sack that I liked, but sadly lost when my Osprey backpack's outside pocket sprung a leak.

As I indicated earlier, these pack a bit smaller, which is nice. There are times when poles can get in the way or when you just aren't using them for one reason or another. My 3 section MSR poles would stick up over the top of my day pack when we went for day hikes. They fit comfortably inside a day pack or, if I put them in an outside pocket, they don't stick up above the pack like a weird antenna.


I think that is all I have to say on this subject. Thanks for stopping by.

Gavagai

Comments