Hammocking

Well, I have decided that I want to give hammock camping a try this year. Since my Ouachita Trail trip, I have been itching to get back to the trail to finish it. I have a plan to do the remaining eastern half of the trail in two separate sections. But things have been busy with family commitments, the holidays, activities and other commitments, and the weather has been rather terrible in January.

But in addition to planning my trip, I have been researching hammock camping and options. When I decided to pick up backpacking again last year, following a ten or more year break from any camping or backpacking, I didn't really know that hammock camping was an option. I learned that people use hammock setups for the first time, by watching videos of people hiking trails that I wanted to hike. And when I first saw their tarp setups, I was confused by them. I was thinking, "Why is their tarp so high off the ground?".

I did look into hammocking a bit at that time, but it was so foreign to me, and it seemed so complicated that I didn't feel comfortable trying it. There are pros and cons to both styles of camping. For these reasons, tent camping won out for me.

  • Weight
  • Simplicity
  • Private interior space
So, what has changed? I'm not to the point where I can't get in and out of my tent, but at the same time, it's not getting easier for me. Also, my recent troubles with my inflatable sleeping pad have also led me to consider an alternative sleep setup that doesn't rely on a pad that can pop to be comfortable and stay warm.

Also, my sleep in the woods has improved greatly since I have started using modern sleeping pads and quilts and camp pillows, but even so, I still wake up in the night, and sometimes find it difficult to find a comfortable position to fall asleep again.

Another challenge with tent camping (sometimes) is finding a proper campsite. To pitch a tent, you need at least semi-flat ground with enough space to accommodate the footprint of your tent.

The biggest appeal according to hammock backpacker devotees, is the quality of sleep. People compare it to sleeping in their bed at home. Also, while I have heard of some people who have tried hammock camping and decided it wasn't for them, but in almost every case I have heard, their reasons were more about setup preferences than comfort while at camp and sleep quality.

Okay. I'm ready to give it a try. What do I need to know?


Hammocks 101

Two Designs
In broad terms, there are two types of hammocks; gathered end and bridge. Gathered end hammocks are made of a length of cloth that is gathered on the head and foot ends. The ends are most often connected to the suspension by a single point on each end. To lay flat in a gathered end hammock, you have to lay in them at an angle. If your head and feet are aligned with the end points, you will be laying like a banana. But if your head is offset to one side and your feet are offset to the opposite side in a gathered end hammock, you will lie relatively flat.

Bridge hammocks have bars that spread the material at the head and foot. The suspension connects near the ends of the spreader bars and usually they join at a point, and then they connect to the suspension to the tree or whatever you are hanging your hammock from. You can lie flat in a bridge hammock without lying on an angle.

Bridge style on left. Gathered end on the right.

Both styles have pros and cons. The gathered end style is lighter weight and possibly less tippy feeling, but you lie flatter in the bridge hammocks and they don't squeeze your body as much on the sides.


Suspension
There are so many options for hanging a hammock, but the basics are that you need some kind of straps that wrap around the tree and then a way to adjust the distance and attach your hammock. Not only are there many different ways to do it, but even the connections between the components have many options; knots, loops, hooks, buckles, etc. I think if you asked four hammock campers what their favorite suspension setup is, you would probably get 12 answers.


Tarp
Unless you are 100% sure the skies will be clear while you're camping, you will need something to keep you dry. There are many styles of tarps. They are typically hung using a ridgeline and cordage. Some tarps have doors. Some tarps have partial doors. Some tarps are just open on both ends. I think all tarps have to be staked to the ground with 4-6 stakes.


Bug net
A bug net may or may not be included with the hammock, but I can't imagine camping in Arkansas without some kind of barrier to keep out the bugs.


Quilts
I have a quilt that I use in combination with a sleeping pad for tent camping. That same quilt can be used with a hammock. It is possible to use a sleeping pad in a hammock, but the favored option to keep people warm from underneath is an under quilt. Under quilts, like top quilts, are typically down filled.

For gathered end hammocks, under quilts clip to the ends and cup the hammock from underneath. On bridge hammocks, under quilts are fastened to the four corners and hugs the underside of the hammock.


You can see that there are a lot of components to hammock setups and they are highly customizable. Another nice feature of hammock kits is because they are modular, you can switch out or even leave come components depending on the requirements of your specific backpacking trip. For example, if I know I'm only going to be gone for a weekend trip or a single overnight, and the weather forecast is firmly clear for those days, you might opt to leave your tarp to save some weight. In the summer, you might choose to leave your under quilt. By comparison to a tent kit, even in warm weather, you would want some kind of pad for comfort purposes. You can also replace bits and pieces of your setup to shave weight. For example, stock spreader bars (aluminum) can be replaced with carbon fiber versions. A sil-poly tarp can be replaced with a dyneema tarp. Straps, fasteners, buckles, ridgelines, etc, etc, etc. They can all be swapped out and customized.

I have made some choices for an initial hammock kit. Here is what I have chosen to start with.

My Kit

Hammock
I decided to try the bridge hammock style. There are many models from many different companies. I liked the features on the Ridgerunner bridge hammock by Warbonnet. Here are some of the features I particularly liked.
  • saddlebag storage pockets
  • built-in and retractable bug net that stores in a pocket near the foot
  • double layer allows you to insert a sleeping pad as an alternative to an underquilt
  • made in USA
While the bridge hammock is a bit heavier than a gathered end hammock, it shouldn't be more than a few ounces difference. I like the idea of a flatter lay.


Suspension
I chose a suspension called "whoopie slings". Not only is it fun to say, but it's a light weight option, it's very strong, and it allows fine tuning of the hang tension. A woopie sling is essentially a spliced line with a tail that can be pulled to adjust the length of the loop. When tension is on the line, it binds and will not slip, but when you release tension, you can pull slack out of the loop or give it more slack to lengthen it. They also pack more compact than many other options with straps and buckles.

The woopie slings will attach to tree straps. I believe the stock tree hugger straps from Warbonnet are 6 feet long. This should give me more than enough length for the trees in Arkansas.


Tarp
For the tarp, I chose a 13 foot Thunderfly by Warbonnet. The extra length (as opposed to the 11 foot version) was recommended to accommodate the width of the bridge hammock. The Thunderfly has a partial door (see photo below).


The doors add protection from wind and precipitation. They also add a bit of privacy. But the more complete the door, the heavier your tarp. Some tarps are made with doors that close completely and go almost all the way to the ground. I did not go that route.

Also, I considered a dyneema tarp, but ultimately decided to go with the sil-poly tarp. These are heavier than the dyneema tarps, but they pack smaller and they cost less than half the price of dyneema tarps.


Under quilt
For my under quilt, I went with a 30­° rated Lynx, again by Warbonnet. I'm a hot sleeper. I have a 20° top quilt (UGQ Bandit), and I think a 30° under quilt will be more than enough for most of my backpacking trips. Also, the fact that the Ridgerunner has that double layer fabric means I can slide an additional layer of insulation between my body and the under quilt to help boost the insulation (eg. emergency blanket or Thinlight pad). For the under quilt, I also chose to do the higher fill power down so it's lighter and packs smaller.


Getting a few customized items means I will have a bit longer wait, but I think it will be worth it in the long run. I am hoping to have my complete kit by late February or early March. I don't know if I'll have it for my completion of the Ouachita Trail, but with this crazy weather we've been having, who knows? It might be late February or March before I'm able to get back on the trail.



In any case, thanks for stopping by. If you have questions about hammock camping, or if you're an expert and you can see I have something wrong, let me know in the comments. 

Cheers,
Gavagai


Comments