Why I'm not "Out"

I like the moniker I've chosen for my blog, and, if I eventually come all the way out of the closet, I will probably keep Gavagai and "run Gavagai run" as names/themes for my web presence. But in an ideal world, I would have my name here too. The reason I'm not fully "out of the closet" is not because I'm ashamed and it's not because I'm afraid. The reason is that I am married and my wife does not want her family to know that I no longer believe.


Her reluctance to reveal my status as an atheist to her family is due to the fact that she believes one or more members of her family will make our lives and visits uncomfortable and annoying (more than they already are, give our political differences). Since they are her family, I have consented to remain in the closet with respect to her family. With my own family and to many of my friends I am out.

Ideally, I would like to be fully out, but I love my wife, and I will honor her wishes regarding her own family.

Thanks for stopping by
Gavagai (rhymes with "have a pie" if you're wondering how to pronounce it)


PS Shout out to all those who subscribe on Blogger, Twitter, Google+, and through FeedSpot. Down the Gavagai Hole will soon hit 1000 views in more than 10 countries!

Comments