Bridge Hammock DIY Tarp Protector

Consuming more YouTube content on hammocks and hammock camping than is probably healthy, I happened across videos like this one.


I don't know how much of a risk there is of damaging your tarp with the tips of your spreader bars, spending a couple of dollars on something to prevent is less of a hassle or expense than needing to repair or replace a rainfly. And given that it does seem like a potential issue, I looked into purchasing the small adapters Rob Pelton (from the YouTube channel above) and others recommended. Unfortunately, that company, Fugal Innovations, is no longer selling them. The links to their website were no longer valid.

What to do?

Another company called Arrowhead Equipment made another similar product and it is still available on their website. However, those bumpers were really designed for a previous model of the Warbonnet Ridgerunner. Reading some of reviews on their page, it sounds like they work with the new design (where the spreader bar tips go through the amsteel cording instead of through aluminum plates.

Original design spreader bar attachment point

New design spreader bar attachment point

So, this is all that bumper is from Arrowhead Equipment.

Arrowhead Equipment bumper

While reviews indicated this will work with the new design of the Ridgerunner, they also said it was a little tricky to keep them from sliding around. But...

It's just a piece of rubber. It looks like a bike tire tube. I have a junky old bike tire tube. Maybe I can make something like that.

Here is what I did.

First, I cut a bike tire into sections of tube that were roughly 3-4 inches. Next, I disconnected my whoopie sling from the suspension. This was a first for me. It was connected with a larks head knot and it was extremely tight, amsteel on amsteel. I had to use plyers to loosen it a bit, but I got both undone. Once that was done, I slid a tube down each of the cords to the corner of the hammock where the amsteel cord connects to the webbing where the spreader bars attach. To hold them in place, I used a small zip-tie. That was it.

Here are some photos.

Tire tube sections zip-tied in place, between spreader bar insert and body of the hammock


Showing where the tip is inserted


After the tip is in place, cover the tip with the rubber



Hammock hung with both ends protected on the foot end



Tip is adequately blunted when it bumps against the tarp

This is only an issue for bridge hammocks. Gathered end hammocks don't have bars that can poke a hole in their tarps. When you sit in a bridge hammock, the side you sit on goes down, forcing the other side up. That's what causes the contact with the tarp.


This adds a marginal amount of weight. If I later decide I don't like it, I can always clip the zip-tie and remove the tubing.


Another Manufactured Alternative

I was going to end this article here, but this product was brought to my attention: Pole Guardz by Nama Gear





These are a bit more expensive than some of the other options, but they are still affordable at $6.50 each or $20 for a set of 4. I ordered a set. They have arrived. I have installed them.

How much weight do these save? On my scale, all 4 of my DIY tire bumpers weigh 29 grams (including the trimmed zip ties I used). The four Pole Guardz weigh about 26 grams. I have saved a grand total of about 3 grams. However, the manufactured option is slimmer, looks nicer, and I expect it will last longer and hold up better in temperature changes.

Having said all that, I am actually a little surprised at how light weight my tire solution was.

It's also worth mentioning that multiple reviewers of the solution featured at the top of this article said it was very difficult to install. The Pole Guardz were super easy to install. I hope they do not fall out, but I think they will stay in place. I will report back with any issues.


**Update**
I have used the Pole Guardz on a two night trip with no issues. They were easy to use. They stayed in place and I feel like they protected my tarp from the pointy ends of my spreader bars.



Have you ever punctured your tarp with a spreader bar? Have you made your own DIY solution to blunt the tips of your spreader bars? Let me know in the comments.


I hope this is useful to someone.

Cheers,

Gavagai



Comments